Pamela Sutton-WallaceBoard Member
Pamela Sutton-Wallace is an accomplished health care executive with more than 25 years of experience in various sectors of the health care industry – most notably in academic medical centers. Currently, Pam serves as Group Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at New York-Presbyterian (NYP) for the Weill Cornell Division providing strategic and operational oversight for the Weill Cornell, Lower Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens campuses.
Prior to her appointment at NYP, Pam served as the Chief Executive Officer for the University of Virginia (UVA) Medical Center in Charlottesville, Virginia from 2014-2020. Overseeing a $2.2B budget, she strategically led UVA Health in receiving several national recognitions in quality, safety, patient experience and team member engagement including being named the #1 hospital in Virginia by US News & World Report as well as receiving the Medical Center’s first
Leapfrog A score.
Pam also worked at Duke University Health System in Durham North Carolina for 17 years in various leadership capacities including: Senior Vice President for Hospital Operations, Chief Operating Officer for Ambulatory Services, Vice President for Perioperative Services and Chief of Staff to the Chancellor for Health Affairs. Pam has also held positions in the pharmaceutical and insurance industries at Pfizer and Blue Cross & Blue Shield of North Carolina, respectively. She received her undergraduate degree in Political Science and African-American Studies from Washington University in St. Louis and graduated from Yale University School of Public Health with a Master of Public Health (MPH), completing her thesis with distinction.
Pam has served on several professional and community boards including the Yale School of Public Leadership Council, Carol Emmott Foundation, Duke University School of Nursing Board of Visitors, America’s Essential Hospitals and American Hospital Association Region 3 Policy Board to name a few. Additionally, Pam serves on the corporate board of J2 Global, an international digital media firm.
A nationally recognized speaker and mentor, Pam has received several recent accolades:
- National Medical Fellowships Champion of Health Awards 2021
- John D. Thompson Yale School of Public Health Fellow 2021
- Modern Healthcare’s “Top 25 Women Leaders in Healthcare 2019”
- Modern Healthcare’s “Top 25 Minority Health Executives in Healthcare 2018” and “Top 10 Minorities to Watch 2016”
- Becker’s Hospital Review, Top 50 African-Americans in Healthcare 2019 and 2018
- Association of Yale Alumni in Public Health on the Winslow Centennial Honor Roll for Excellence and Service 2016 -Becker’s Hospital Review as one of the Top 10 Women in Healthcare. Pam is married to Maurice O. Wallace PhD, associate professor of English and African-American Studies at Rutgers University. They are the proud parents of two brilliant daughters, Sage (22) and Amaya (20). Pam enjoys speaking to a wide array of audiences as well as mentoring and encouraging the next generation of leadership.